Mark Smith (Gardland, Hunter-Gatherer Records)
Some notes on 2013
– Drink of the Year: get into Polish lemon vodka, strong contender for world’s most edible liquid. NB: don’t drink vodka with the Poles.
– Industry Joke of the Year:
“Where does Stellar Om Source put her rubbish bins at night?”
– The number of kids in hats in Marrickville is rising exponentially.
– Careful with that press release. One minute you’re a respectable citizen, the next you’re a drugged up quasi-spiritual desert dweller who samples didgeridoos and is inspired by nature.
– Nick Land Quote of the Year (circa 1991): “Creativity cannot be brought to an end that is compatible with power, for unless life is extinguished, control must inevitably break down.
– Inspirational Australian of the Year: Gareth Psaltis. If he eclipses this track then a whole lot of Europeans are going to be losing their collective shit. Look out for Gaz on some Hunter-Gatherer wax next year.
– Beware of paid-for webpage space masquerading as unbiased music journalism.
– Big ones to Shaun for writing about our ish with panache when no one else gave a fuck. More on point analysis than RA, FACT and XLR8R combined.